As technology is getting rapidly involved in the world of communication, letters, petitions, job applications, invitations or celebration texts are now sent to us via e-mail. Today e-mail messages are increasingly becoming more important in both private life and work life. The previous generation would write letters delicately; later this duty transformed into an e-mail writing form with some designated rules. Therefore, writing proper e-mails in English language today is one of the basic topics in learning this foreign language.
The beginners or those who want to improve their level in the English language ask this question: “What are the tips I can use when writing an e-mails in English?” In this article, you will find a detailed answer.
1. The Addressing Forms of E-Mails Are Your First Communication Tool.
Your way of addressing to the other people is extremely important, as you are preparing an English e-mail content. While it is appropriate to address your close friends or family members with their names, you need to use names, surnames or titles if you are preparing an official e-mail content for an official correspondence.
Unofficial addressing forms are:
- Dear Friend,
- Dear John,
- Hello Mary,
- Hi Julia,
Official addressing forms are:
- Dear Frank Stevenson,
- Dear Mr. Frank Stevenson,
- Dear Prof. Dr. Frank Stevenson,
If you do not know the name and the surname of the recipient but if you know his/her title or job, you can use this title for addressing that person.
- Dear President
- Dear Mr. Craig, Secretary-General
If the e-mail is used as an official correspondence tool or will be sent to an institution, it is possible to use a more neutral addressing form.
- To Whom It May Concern
- Dear Madam/Sir
2. The Subject of an English E-Mail Must Be Described Correctly.
After writing the address of the individual or the corporation you will send the e-mail, you need to explain why you are sending this e-mail in the Subject section with few words. The subject section of an e-mail is the most important part that openly explains your purpose of contact and why the receiver should read your e-mail.
- Application for the Job Position System Engineer
- Invitation for the Annual Conference of Human Resources Management Association
- Proposal for International Collaboration
- Purchase of New Desktop Computers
- Updated Package of Insurance Premiums
- Renewal of Your Contract Numbered 199993332
3. You Need to State Your Intent of Writing an E-Mail in English.
If you are replying to an individual who has written to you or if you clicked “Reply” option, it is appropriate to start your e-mail with a thank you message.
- I would like to thank you for your kind invitation.
- We are pleased to know that you would like to cooperate with our organization.
- We appreciate your proposal for the renewal of your contract.
- I am writing to you regarding the job position for Marketing Executive posted on your website.
If you are sending an e-mail for the first time as an individual or as a corporation, you need to introduce yourself and explain why you are sending that e-mail briefly. The tip here is as follows; designing introduction and purpose sections as separate mini-paragraphs will both help the reader and you to clearly explain your intent in English.
- I am the Head of the Marketing Department at CBC Capital.
- I represent CBC Capital where I work as a Computer Engineer.
- I am interested in your new investment tool which suits our business objectives.
- I am writing to you on behalf of the Organizing Committee of HRM Conference 2019.
- We are pleased to inform you that our next annual conference will be held in June 2020 in Madrid, Spain.
- My name is Sarah Wilkins. I am the Editor of Fashion Journal. We would like to have an interview with you for our next issue.
4. Complete Your E-Mail Text with Good Wishes.
Explaining what the e-mail subject is, who you are and what your intent is shortly and clearly with English phrases is the common property of both the official and unofficial correspondence. In today’s business world where time is valuable, reading a short, clear and well-structured text will both help you gain the trust of e-mail recipient and increase your chances of getting a positive response. For this reason, if you are talking about a long and complicated topic, you can structure your English e-mail texts in two or three short paragraphs at most. Your last paragraph must clearly indicate your demand from them and your desire to hear their response. Some of the e-mail conclusion patterns in English that can be used in the last paragraph of the text can be summarised as follows:
- I am looking forward to hearing from you.
- We would be pleased to see you in Vienna next month.
- It would be a pleasure if you could consider my skills appropriate for the position.
At this point, if you are sending a document in addition to your e-mail message, you might want to use an attachment phrase in English as well.
- Please find attached my résumé and cover letter.
- Please find attached all the documents required for the contract.
5. Use Closing Phrases in Your English E-Mail
You will need a final touch to complete your English e-mail with a concluision. This final touch is expressed in English with a single word or a phrase. If you are sending a sincere e-mail, you can write the following:
- Best Wishes
- Kind Regards
If you are preparing a text for official correspondence in English, you must use two-word phrases as the final touch.
- Yours sincerely
- Yours faithfully
Of course, since the final part of the e-mail will be your signature, you need to make sure that you add your name, your surname and your contact information, if necessary, at the end of the e-mail text.
Tips for writing an e-mail in English which is explained in detail above can be summarized as follows:
- Determine the subject and write this subject briefly.
- Choose your way to address your correspondence.
- Briefly introduce yourself.
- Explain why you are writing the e-mail.
- Write your demand in one sentence.
- Make sure you remind that you are sending an attachment, if any.
- Give your best wishes.
- Add your signature.
The tips you can use while writing your English e-mail are all for now. But you will surely need both written and oral practices to take your English to the next level. With English Ninjas platform you can contact instructors who are native English speakers and practice on your English frequently and easily.